Periodically I need to be reminded how wonderful my life is and why I have few reasons to complain. By now, you know I am not a big fan of feel good books or self-help anything, preferring to trust my intelligence and my own pulse of the situation rather than Oprah’s but, when the going gets a little bit tougher than usual, I make lists of what made me smile over the arc of the last couple of days.
- My new neighbours came over for dinner (and they did love the eggplant, by the way) and they brought me a plant. That made me smile because I am in the process of beautifying my yard and I have a collection of empty pots that need lodgers. I have no idea what the plant is, but it has pretty pink flowers and can withstand hours of relentless sun.
- Ottie, my gourmet dog, keeps on eating with an appetite that would rival a black bear attacking a campsite.
- I found a rare deal at Wholefoods on organic strawberries, which I grabbed and made jam with and now my kitchen smells like Strawberry Fields.
- My friend L is back from New Mexico so we can start resuming our daily kvetching.
- I woke up in the middle of the night and found Portia had broken into my office, grabbed a white rabbit and was now sleeping with it. Possibly a sign I am too close to my dogs, but it made me smile anyway.
- I went to re-read the beginning of a book I started writing a while ago and it was surprisingly better than I expected.
If I skim through the surface, I am sure I can find more cause for celebration but nobody needs that much happiness. Have a good week!